The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Miss America Pageant

Now you may have read that last post and wondered: "What in the world did she go to Vegas for?" No, I didn't have an audition for the Cirque Du Soleil (even though that would be a fun job... I'm just not quite flexible enough). Well I was recently presented with the invitation to attend the Miss America Pageant. Not because they thought I should be crowned, but because Miss Mississippi is a current student in the same scholarship program that I work for. It was an amazing experience to be able to see all the work and franticness that goes on during a live production.

Our beautiful Miss Mississippi won the swimsuit and fitness preliminary on Wednesday night. She did not place in the judges' minds, but in the heart of all her supporters she is the best. A group of us went and cheered our hearts out for her. I definitely woke up a few mornings with a feeling in my throat that I haven't felt since high school after a big game.

I am convinced that travel forces you to learn about yourself and also those around you. Luckily I was able to travel with some of the best people I know. i don't want to go into too much detail, but I have to say this: The board of managers that provide the scholarhip to students were able to attend also. These are all highly educated people, but work outside the realm of higher ed. I have never seen a foundation that is so committed to supporting their recipients as these are. They truly give me a model to look up to and admire. I am so thankful for the opportunities that my job affords me and all the lessons I am learning along the way.

No comments: