The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, June 6, 2008

making a statement

Recently a friend and I were discussing the crazies of the world. He had been invited to a quite disturbing group on facebook. The group's title was something along the lines of, "Fight Gas Prices, Burn Down Gas Stations!".
Are you kidding me?!
That's a great answer to the problem of high gas prices. Don't worry about carpooling, walking, taking a bike, not going as often, just let 'em burn! CRAZY!
My friend and I decided to report the group. I've always seen that little button to report a group and thought... who does that? Well my friend did.
Done. It's over. Right? Not quite.
I heard a news story on the radio this morning and could only shake my head in disbelief. I got to work and just had to look up the story. In an effort to "Do Something About High Gas Prices" a woman in California set fire to not one but TWO gas stations and a Starbuck's! Well, I guess she solved the problem for herself. She probably won't be driving too much now that she faces arson charges.
I'm not saying that the facebook group led to her firey acts, but its just a little disturbing. She's not the only one who thought of it. Someone also made that group. Not to say they will act on it or follow the suggestion, but hundreds of facebookers have joined this group! A not-so-funny joke that is a little too serious.
Out. Of. Control.

1 comment:

John Wesley Leek said...

Agreed. There have been some silly facebook groups. People need to stop and breath before they speak (or in this case confirm a group). I've reported a group for racism before. Violence and -isms are not cool. Yep.