The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, February 20, 2009

Paint.... Everywhere!

Last week I decided to do a little laundry. It's past time to get some clothes clean when the laundry basket is beginning to overflow. I had just gotten home from work and was more than looking forward to getting the load on and crawling into bed to relax. For some reason I was drained by the end of this day. 

As I walked into the laundry room, my phone starts to ring. I have told myself repeatedly, when you don't know the number- DON'T answer. For some reason though I always forget this mental note and continue to answer. Being a Tuesday night I probably could have guessed this phone call though- it was the Mormons. 

Oh you didn't know I was Mormon? Well-- I'm not, I'm Baptist. Quick back story- My old apartment complex housed a group of Mormon. They would frequently go around the complex sharing their beliefs and inviting people to church. Not wanting to be rude I would always talk, which in turn encouarged them to return each week. Mistake one. Then for some reason beyond me I gave them my number (not thinking they would actually call me to invite me to church) Mistake two. 

Its been a good 5 months since the last invite, but recently somehow my number has resurfaced in their ministry. A weekly invite 10 minutes before church starts on Tuesdays has begun. 

Well on this particular Tuesday I was a little grumpy. I quickly shot the invitation down with a quick, "I'm busy, sorry". Click. Mistake three. Let me explain....

I continued on with my plans of starting the laundry, wanting nothing more than to be snuggled in bed. As I started to pull the detergent down I noticed it was caught on the not-so-sturdy shelf above it. I figured there's plenty on that top shelf to hold it in place. 

Umm.... Wrong...

One second I was pulling detergent. The next thing I know there is downpour of EVERYTHING on that top shelf. What was on that top shelf? Oh, about NINE paint cans and a few boxes. 

I managed to throw my hands above my head to protect myself, but nothing could have stopped the mess that quickly followed. Once I got enough courage to slowly open my eyes from the squenched closed position they were in, I first looked to the floor. A beautiful array of colorful paint stared back at me. This is not that bad, not a big deal at all. I quickly cleaned and thought I was done. 

Thought being the main word. 

The floor was clean, now laundry... Wrong. 

What I saw next was a BIG deal.

A paint can sat upside down on top of the washer and dryer without the lid. It was positioned so perfectly that the paint easily slid down the sides of the BOTH the washer and dryer to form a huge puddle that eeked under each cleaning unit. The washer and dryer could easily be placed in the living room and not look out of place with the new paint job. 

Somehow the quick lie I told the Mormons quickly became a truth. I now in fact had something to do. 

Two hours later I finally found my bed.

Moral of the story- Don't lie, because someone or some power may just make it the truth. 

Have a Happy Weekend... Free of little white lies...

**Update on Granny** She called the doctor this week and was told the results would be in next week. So we are still patiently waiting... Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. 


1 comment: