The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I am my mother's daughter... naturally


I know this is a given. Duh- Of course I'm my mother's daughter! Who else's would I be?! Over time this has become evidently true. Growing up I always thought 'I'm never going to be like my mom-- she's crazy!' (a good crazy though, not the crazy crazy you're probably thinking) I'm sure we've all had these thoughts about our parents or another influential grown-up. You pick something about them and decide that is something you will NEVER do or be like.

Well nothing like reality to hit you in the pants for thinking that! Last week was my mom's birthday. She decided to make a weekend of it. And not just any weekend, a weekend with me none the less. She came to town on Thursday, spent the night. Shopped Friday while I worked. We went to the Coast that night and saw the Blue Man Group at the Beau and came home on Saturday. During this trip she was able to see my life in Hattiesburg, and she could not get enough of it. Always asking questions-- something I am terribly guilty of almost all the time. Wanting to know more than I'm willing to open up to-- another something I'm guilty of-- I usually always want to know more then I should.

After her visit I was told that I'm a lot like my mom. To my astonishment my jaw dropped-- No, I'm not, but in reflection, yes. Yes, I am. Its a not a bad thing either. I laugh and make fun of the way she rationalizes shopping when she has plenty, knowing I do the exact thing almost daily. Guess that's where I learned it. I'm sure there are tons of little non-verbal gestures we both do that I'm unaware of. I even gain weight the same way she does. It's in my genes. I might as well accept it. I love my mom-- who wouldn't? It's funny I can talk or hang out with my sister and something will happen. We will both just look at each other and wonder aloud when we both became our mother.

1 comment:

John Wesley Leek said...

And I am my mother's son. ;)

Similar attitudes about purchases and similar personality quirks and similar builds. It's true.