The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Sunday, April 20, 2008

a wonderful world of make believe

Even though I am 24, I have to say one of the best jobs ever is babysitting. Where else can you work in a land of fantasy, unless you work for the big Mouse himself? I have a pretty steady babysitting side-career currently, and the girls I keep, keep my heart. Walking into their house is always a delight. You never know what adventure awaits and what part you will play in it. I've played many different roles-- from Tinkerbell to a timid turtle. A fairy princess to a tan-skinned mermaid. Glinda the Good Witch to a crawling baby only able to communicate with goo-goo. My favorite dance partners have been found in the homes I babysit. I only hope I will always be able to dance with their same carefree attitude and just enjoy the music of the moment. (That's me and two of the beauties dancing at a Valentine's Dance).

This weekend I was able to watch 'my girls'. Instead of the usual 3, Tabitha and I tag-teamed with 5 on this particular night. It has to be understood, these children have stolen the hearts of both Tabitha and myself. Slight jealousy arises when the other gets to watch the girls (a friendly jealousy though).

The weather was so beautiful this weekend, you were drawn outside. After swinging and running for a while, one of the girls started rearranging the chairs in the backyard. I'm not quite sure where all the chairs came from, but pretty soon there was a straight line of about 9 chairs.
When asked what she was doing, she confidently responded, "I'm making a Barbie Shop."
"A Barbie Shop?"
"Yes, a Barbie Shop. Only girls can get their hair cut here."
Precious!
I just had to get my hair done. After a quick snip snip with play scissors and a few pokes in the ear, I had a blow dry with a bubble maker. Fabulous! But it didn't end there. I was then able to pick a toy on account of my good behavior. She had a blanket of toys laid out behind the row of chairs to choose from. Such imagination!

I wonder how I used to play when I was little. Sometimes its hard to remember. When did we get too big for fairy princesses and secret missions? As the distance between childhood and today grows, I am so thankful that I do have reminders in my life keeping the kid in me alive.

1 comment:

John Wesley Leek said...

Make believe it what keeps us sane in the here and now. It's good. I love doing the same while camping with the Boy Scout troop I help.