The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, February 22, 2008

uncle sam wants you... to be the angel you already are

Recently one my bests, Tabitha, introduced me to a program called Soldier's Angels. Their whole cause is Soldiers. Tabitha didn't really introduce me to the program as much as sign me up for it one day. I have now committed, with the signing up help of her, to send a letter a week and a care package once a month for the next year. Now Tabitha has a boyfriend in the huge sandbox of Afghanistan. She regularly writes him and sends packages. This could have been the reason for quickly putting my name in the sign up blank. That or just her trying to give me something to do, I'm not completely sure.

Don't get me wrong, she asked before hitting submit and everything. So this did not happen without me being completely aware. After being bombarded with the longest emails known to man from the service for a day or two, I thought a had a good idea of the program. I was strictly told not to treat the service as a dating service, and not to expect a response from my adopted soldier, and to send the stuff.

On Friday of the second week, I rushed into my office to write my letter for the week and there in my inbox was an email from an unknown sender. Being the procrastinator that I can be at times, I opened it first instead of writing my letter. To my surprise and excitement it was from my soldier! Yay! This won't be such a boring year as I thought! So now we email instead of snail mail. No postage! Yahoo!

I recommend anyone signing up for the program. It's easy and fun! What? You don't support the war? Well can't you at least support the soldiers? Yes. I think so. You don't have to like the war to be a supporter of our troops! It's our American duty... okay a little overkill I know, but you get the point.

No comments: