The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, February 4, 2008

a great weekend in a great city with a great friend

This weekend I was able to take a vacation to one the greatest cities in America. A city where you can find a Starbucks on EVERY corner. (I know that could be any place in America) A city where the color of a house is the only way to describe the home of our leader. A city with a huge mall containing no retail. A city where museums and zoos are free of admission. A city where much history has happened and much history is made. A city where cabs have no meters, just a map with prices. A city that affects every other town and suburb in the nation.

Washington, DC

I have returned from DC and am now back in the real world, well my real world and no longer on vacation. For the record, I had a FABULOUS time! I flew into Baltimore on Friday morning and after waiting for the train rode down to DC. Then spent the weekend sight-seeing and catching up with Jessica. On Sunday evening I caught another train to Baltimore and then flew back to Mississippi.

Highlights of the trip:
1. Seeing Jessica
2. Lincoln Memorial
3. Holocaust Museum
4. Museum of Modern Art
5. Cheesecake Factory
6. Georgetown
7. the Beautiful weather
8. last but definitely not least.... having my camera with me at all times!









I do have to say, after visiting I am oddly inspired to start jogging. Everyone does it ALL the time there! It did not matter what time of the day, there were not one, but multiple people jogging. 8 am-joggers. 7 pm-joggers. 12 pm-joggers. 2:45 pm-joggers. 1:15 am-joggers. Joggers all the time. Where do they find the energy?! I now feel rightly out of shape. Here lies my change for Lent.



**Just a memo for anyone traveling to DC and planning on seeing the Holocaust Museum:
It's intense. Very intense. Before you enter the building, there is this sign that reads:
"The next time you see injustice, the next time you witness hatred, the next time you hear about genocide, Think about what you saw".
Reading it before I went in didn't mean as much as it did when I left. It really makes you think about how hate can be carried out and influence others . My challenge to myself is to not stop at thinking, I hope I will be able to better stand up for what is right. The Holocaust Museum, a very sobering experience, but one I feel everyone should experience.**

No comments: